ABA in Nigeria
By Bosede E. Asikhia
Interim Officers were appointed by ABA in Nigeria (ABAN) trustees to run the association in 2019-2020: Bosede Asikhia, president, BCBA, QBA; Francis Mohie, vice president, RBT; Eziafakaku Nwokolo, secretary, BCBA, QBA; and Daisy Jonathan, financial secretary/treasurer, QASP-S. The chapter celebrated the following accomplishments:
- Appointment of regional coordinators:
- ABAN North Team coordinator: Angela Ikuomola QBA
- ABAN East Team coordinator: Dr. Tina Irimoren Ph.D., QBA
- ABAN West coordinator: Temitope Osoba QASP-S
- Total registered members: 50 as of December 2020.
- Website developed: www.aban.org.ng
Since its inception, ABA in Nigeria has engaged in the following activities:
- Set up WhatsApp group for sharing vital information such as specific training and consultancy services.
- Established a regional ABAN web team for outreach, liaison, awareness, and advocacy programs in order to encourage participation and commitment of members in the science of ABA and to raise awareness about the efficacy of ABA to the consumers, community, and governmental institutions. ABAN Autism awareness programs are on-going at the agency and regional levels and use campaigns and rallies during Autism awareness month to organize talks at churches, mosques, and at government institutions.
- Established the West African Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis (coordinator: Komlantse Gossou, BCBA), which released its first publication after our conference in May 2021.
- Our first ABAN Virtual Conference took place April 30–May 1, 2021.
- Collaborated with Nigerian ABA professionals in sharing vital information for the benefit of ABAN members.
- Created opportunities for supervision, consultancy, free and subsidized CEU, and scholarships for ABA training (teachers and parents).
- About 10 members were able to establish their own agencies through motivation and consultancy services.